Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fixie Project - Part V

Not much progress to report on the painting front; the weather has been too humid for spraying for the last few days, which is holding up everything else. In the meantime I've done a few odd jobs like preparing a jury-rigged head cup press, using exactly $13.30 worth of bits from my local hardware store:


The threaded rod is 3/4" x 24" with a BSW thread. A tool like this only needs a rod about 20cm long, but 24" was all they had in the shop.

I'll post a picture of the tool in action once I get up to that point (i.e. after the frame is fully painted). I got this idea from Dave Moulton's Bike Blog. If it works, I'll have saved myself some workshop costs or the price of a proper head cup press (e.g. US$50 + P&P at Ben's Cycle).

No comments:

Post a Comment